Therapeutic drug level monitoring
Therapeutic drug level monitoring is performed in order to measure the amount of a specific medicinal product in the body. The test is usually done to achieve a concentration with maximum clinical effect, and to protect from the toxic effects of certain medicines.
These tests are necessary for patients on prolonged treatment with certain medicines, where there is only a small difference between the minimum effective concentrations and minimum toxic concentrations in the blood, and also when poisoning with drugs is suspected.
The concentration of medicines in the blood depends on:
- Individual qualities of the body,
- Different hepatic and renal functions,
- Certain conditions, e.g. pregnancy or diseases,
- Medicine dosing interval,
These tests are performed using venous blood, and the concentration of medicines is measured at certain intervals.
Depending on the doctor’s recommendations, the blood for the therapeutic drug level monitoring is drawn before the patient takes the medicine, or at a certain time after taking the medicine.
There is no need to book an appointment in advance.
Therapeutic drug level monitoring prices
Regular price Regular For clients who are not covered by compulsory health insurance
Free Kappa and Lambda light chains
What factors affect the price?
The prices indicated below apply to citizens of the Republic of Lithuania and the European Union.
If you are coming from another country please check the price by telephoning or sending an email.
Why it is worth
to be examined at our Centre?
- We perform high quality tests which has been confirmed by the ISO 15189 certification of our laboratory.
- The results of the tests performed in our laboratory are explained by our staff, a service that is provided by only a few laboratories in the country.
- Within 7 days after the sample collection, if required, we can carry out additional allergy tests using the same blood sample. It is important for children and patients from other cities and towns!
- There is no risk of damage or mix-up of test samples during transportation – statistics show that this is one of the most common reasons why blood samples get damaged at the laboratories.
Good to know
Therapeutic drug level monitoring is recommended when:
- There is a strong relation between the dose and the serum concentration;
- Overdosing is suspected;
- Pharmacokinetics of the drug is greatly dependant on the patient’s individual condition;
- Administering a dose that is too low or overdosing has serious consequences;
- The drug is very toxic;
- The efficacy of the drug cannot be measured by other less invasive methods;
- Therapeutic or toxic effect of the drug is hard to notice;
- Concurrent medications cause higher or lower concentration of one of the drugs in the blood.
How do I find out the test results?
- The test results are ready in 14 working days. They can be collected at the reception, or we can email them to you upon request.
- If you wish for your test results to be explained, please call the laboratory on (8 5) 247 64 22.